• A magnificent brick<br />vaulted ceiling
  • The base of an oriel window<br />in the Great Hall
  • Could this windowless<br />building have been a<br />real tennis court

About the Palace

The Palace was built on an area of higher ground in what must have been a very wet area in the past. The River Wey forms one arm of the moat that encircled the site. Originally, there was a central section of moat that divided the ground into two distinct areas.

The first house on the site was probably erected in 1217. Successive building on the site over the centuries resulted in a substantial complex of buildings.

Read more about the Palace's history.

About the Friends of Woking Palace

The Friends of Woking Palace is a registered charity whose objects are the preservation and protection, upkeep and maintenance of Woking Palace, and the advancement of education of the public in the history of the Palace site.

The Charity is administered by an Executive Committee consisting of up to nine members including two nominated coporate members and the balance being elected at the Annual General Meeting which is held in September each year or as soon as practicable thereafter.

The corporate members represent Woking Borough Council, the owners of Woking Palace, and The Lightbox, the repository for archaeological artefacts from the site.

Join the Friends.

Tours and presentations.

Side of standing building

Side view of the standing building

Exposed Great Hall wall

The wall of Henry VII's Great Hall

Oriel window

The Great Hall may have had
a similar oriel window

© 2009-2013 Friends of Woking Palace
T : +44 (0)7722 299026 E : info@woking-palace.org
Registered Charity no. 1100852