Friends of Woking Palace
Woking Palace was not only a palace but also in effect the manor house of the Royal Manor of Woking. The Woking Coat of Arms is, therefore, of interest because it is made up of extracts from the arms of past holders of the Manor.
The Coat of Arms was granted to Woking Borough Council in 1930. The heraldic description of the Arms is: "Quarterly gold and gules a cross flory between in the first and fourth quarters a fleur-de-lis, and in the second and third quarters a fret, all counter-changed". The motto is "Fide et Diligentia" — "By Faith and Diligence".
The cross forming the centre is that of Edward the Confessor and the red and gold colouring of the Arms is taken from the coat of arms of the Bassett family, to whom the Manor was granted by King John. The frets in the second and third quarters are taken from the coat of arms of the Despenser, who held Woking from 1281; and the fleur-de-lis in the first and fourth quarters of the Woking Arms were taken from the Beaufort coat of arms, the Manor passing into the possession of this family in 1416.
The image of the Arms shown is taken from a photograph of the Civic Offices. There is a better reproduction of the Arms on www.civicheraldry.co.uk/weald_downs.html . You will need to scroll down to the Woking entry.
|Contact Us by email: info @ woking-palace.org|
|Copyright © 2009 Friends of Woking Palace.||Updated 24 October 2009|
|Registered Charity no. 1100852|